In public transport and while shopping in Germany is a mask of duty. An analysis of Canada shows that masks reduce the risk of infection is actually solid. As well as the Social Distancing. Nevertheless, the researchers warn of a fallacy.
A combination of Distance, mouth-nose-mask and eye protection could prevent, according to a new Survey-analysis of a Corona-infection in the best way possible. The letter, researchers at the canadian McMaster University in the journal "The Lancet", after you have evaluated 172 studies in a systematic way. A part of the studies dealt with the Sars-CoV-2, another with Sars, and a third with Mers. All of these pathogens belong to the corona virus.
The aim of the meta-analysis, so the practitioner was to check the best possible use of various protective measures, to create a basis for guidelines of the world health organization, which funded the study in part. This is all the more important because it was different and sometimes contradictory recommendations.
In its analysis, the canadian scientists came to the following main findings:
- A distance of one Meter or more is associated with a significantly lower risk of infection than a smaller distance (2.6 percent versus 12.8 percent risk of infection). For each additional metre distance up to three meters could halve this risk, the authors of the evidence for the latter statement as a "moderat" describe.
- Visors, goggles and glasses, in General, seem to reduce the risk also (5.5 percent versus 16 percent risk of infection). Because there is the assumption that the eye can be a potential point of entry for the Virus. Here the proof is, however, rather "gering", according to the authors.
- A similar result is shown in the effects of facial masks (3.1 percent versus 17.4 percent risk of infection). Here, too, the authors assess the evidence of safety, however, overall, as a rather "niedrig".
No single measure can guarantee a hundred percent protection
The authors emphasize that both keep their Distance, face masks as well as eye protection even in combined Form, and correctly applied – not a hundred-percent protection guarantee, but always by other measures, such as regular and thorough hand-washing should be supplemented.
All the important messages to the Coronavirus in the FOCUS Online Newsletter. Subscribe now.
Not everyone gets along with masks
The doctors hope that their results will be used by governments and managers of health systems, in order to formulate clear rules and recommendations. However, it should be taken into consideration always also, how acceptable, feasible, resources are intensive and accessible to all of these measures.
As a part of the analyzed studies to all three viruses have shown that people accepted the protection strategies, and as a reassuring thought, but also challenges noted. These ranged from skin irritation due to the face masks to the difficult communication in a nursing context.
- More on the topic of masks:These questions move German to the mask duty – what are your experiences?
- All the News about the Coronavirus pandemic, you can read the Live-Ticker
How about a good mask?
Another result of the meta-analysis, an Epidemiologist Raina MacIntyre, from the Australian University of New South Wales highlights in an independent comment: the evaluation have shown that respiratory masks and multi-layer masks shielded better than those from a single material layer. This is particularly important the fact that many self-made masks be only a single layer.
"A well-designed fabric mask should consist of water repellent fabric, a plurality of layers and in the face sein" adjusted;, recommends MacIntyre.
You can also read:
- Many put on face shields instead of masks: What brings the plastic protection and what not
- Iron, bake, wash: you have to know if you use your mask again
Simple cucumber salad: thanks to shake-Trick, he is particularly fast
Appetite Simple cucumber salad: thanks to shake-Trick succeeds, he particularly quickly